With over 50% of Brits planning on barbecuing an average of five times for family and friends this year, lets make sure you know how to be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Recent research has revealed that the majority of people do not recognise CO poisoning as a potential danger when barbecuing, instead choosing things like food poisoning, burns and child safety as the main barbecue hazards.

Known as ‘the silent killer’, CO gas has no colour, taste or smell and can have fatal consequences. So have a read of the following tips to help protect you and your loved ones:

• Never use a BBQ inside
• Don’t take a smouldering or lit barbecue into a tent, caravan or cabin. Even if you’ve finished cooking, your barbecue can still give off fumes, so keep it outside
• Always ensure you can see your lit barbecue and don’t leave it lit whilst sleeping
• The cooking area should be well away from your tent, cabin or caravan, and always ensure there is an adequate supply of fresh air.
• Use your barbecue in accordance with the operating instructions
• Be aware of the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning – headaches, nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

The Nation’s top BBQ tips are:

• Leave the barbecue to fully heat up before cooking
• Marinate the meat overnight
• Work out your cooking timings accurately
• Let the meat rest before serving
• Use a barbecue with different racks to help control cooking temperatures

Remember to keep your family safe, always use a Gas Safe Registered Engineer.